Day 1 – Cusco To Santa Maria
The tour begins with pickup at 6:30 am from your hostel. Leave your bags in our luggage storage and hit the road! Sit back and enjoy the spectacular scenery as you are driven to over 4,200 meters above sea level to the top of Abra Malaga. (picture mtn.) Take a deep breath, strap on the protective gear provided and take in the majestic mountain before hitting the pavement on brand new mountain bikes. Feel the wind whip your face as you cruise down winding mountain roads, past waterfalls, mountain villages and the occasional road dog. Almost three hours and a 2,000-meter decent of white knuckled excitement brings you to the lunch stop in Alfamayo. Strip off layers and slap on insect repellent as you enter the pre-jungle climate. After lunch and some time to relax (to let the heat of the afternoon melt away) a short van ride takes you to the start of your first short trek. Car ride to Santa Tersa where we spend our 1st night.
Day 2 – Santa Teresa To Aguas Calientes
A choice waits at the outset of the third day: either continue trekking, or choose to fly through the air 150 meters above the ground over rivers and jungle! The zip line option includes transport to the zip line facility and 5 zips. Are you brave enough to lean back into the upside down monkey position? Or spread your wings and dive head first in the incredible superman position. Make sure you book your zip line ahead of time to ensure the safest, highest, fastest zips (there are several other zip tours of lesser quality).The group will re-form at the Hidrolectrica station for lunch before continuing the trek. Another three hours trekking along the train tracks and the raging river brings you to the tourist town of Aguas Calientes. Travelers have the option to visit the local hot springs or relax and explore the town before dinner. Make sure you make it an early night to be awake for the ascent to the jewel of the tour: Machu Picchu!
Day 3 – Machu Picchu / Huayna Picchu To Cusco
Your climb to Machu Picchu begins before the sun is up. Ascend step by step for approximately an hour up the Inca staircase to the formerly lost stronghold of Machu Picchu. A 2-hour guided tour reveals mysteries and poses questions of how the Incas lived and were able to achieve such marvelous feats of engineering. After the tour you have the option to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain for an even more incredible view of the ruins and the surrounding sheer cliffs of the Andes. Take your time exploring the wondrous ruins and get that perfect picture before making your descent back to Aguas Calientes. Your return time to Cusco will depend on which transport option, or return train you select.
- Transport from Cusco to Abra Malaga.
- Packed lunch for day 1.
- Food from lunch day 1 to breakfast day 3.
- Professional bilingual guide.
- Bike with front suspension, gloves and helmet.
- 02 nights accommodation in basic hostels/lodges.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu.
- Train back and transport to Cusco.
- Lunch/dinner day 3.
- Rafting in Santa Maria, optional US$30.
- Zip line in Santa Teresa, optional US$30.
- Hot Springs in Santa Teresa, optional 5 soles.
- Hot Springs in Aguas Calientes, optional 10 soles.
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu, optional US$12 each way.
- Huayna Picchu (US$15) or Machu Picchu Mountain (US$15) see info below.
What to bring :
- Hiking boots/shoes
- Backpack (30 to 40 liters)
- Comfortable clothing for trekking
- Rain gear or poncho (rainy season)
- Sandals for evenings
- Clothing for warm weather
- Warm sweater / jacket for 1st morning
- Flashlight + extra batteries
- Hat for the sun
- Sun block
- Water bottle
- Personal medical kit
- Insect repellent
- Toilet paper
- Spending money (soles)
- Original passport